Thursday 29 July 2010

Mjød: Mead

No fermenting time, so this is kind of a cheat's mead! A neutral flavoured snaps (eg. Brøndums) or brændevin works better than vodka, I only used vodka because I had a bottle that was taking up space. This works best as an apèritif as it has a relatively high level of alcohol.



Mjød
makes approx 800ml

300ml apple juice
200g honey
375ml water
250ml neutral flavoured snaps, brændevin or vodka
2 sticks cinnamon
zest of 1/2 lemon

Add all except snaps/brændevin/vodka to a large pot.
Slowly bring to a boil.
Simmer, covered, for 30 mins.
Let cool, 5-10 mins.
Add snaps/brændevin/vodka.
Stir well.
Strain into a large sealable jug or bottle.
Let cool completely before refrigerating.
Serve chilled.

4 comments:

  1. neat! I've tried mead, but never knew it was easy to make! This recipe looks amazing! I hope you will submit this to http://www.findingvegan.com! ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try submitting some of my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun recepie but it cant be classified as mead, im gonna try it shurly enough but if you try it and dont like it that doesnt mean you dont like mead.

    its worth trying i can tell you, im brewing it my self

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hence why I call it *cheat's mead* ;) there's no brewing or fermentation with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete