Tuesday 11 June 2013

Ramsons Cheese Scones

I have got to be the worst blogger around, A 15 month gap! Well, I'll just tell you what's happened in that time then.  I worked my arse off last year with 2 jobs and finishing up Danish classes. My liver wasn't in tip-top condition and my body was having a hard time tolerating salicylates. As such I started this year on a very strict low salicylate diet, which when combined with a yeast and sugarfree diet for a vegetarian is like hell on earth! Needless to say, me and food were not bedfellows. Thankfully it's not a serious problem and I'm back to my usual eating patterns, albeit with some supportive supplements for awhile.

Ramsons Cheese Scones
makes approx 28 scones

100g cheddar or emmentaler, grated
12 ramsons leaves, finely chopped
400ml plain flour
1 t bi-carb soda
40g butter, cold & cubed
100-125ml +/- milk or soymilk
2 t mustard powder

Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F.
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Mix together flour, bi-carb soda & mustard powder in a large bowl.
Work through butter with hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add ramsons & cheese (reserve a little for later).
Add milk little by little, using a butterknife, mix with cutting motions.
Using your hands, make a ball.
Knead very gently for 3 mins on a floured surface.
Roll out to approx 1cm/0.4" thick.
Cut into rounds with a 6.5cm/2.5" cutter.
Place on baking tray.
Sprinkle tops with the remaining cheese.
Bake 15-20 mins, or until tops are golden brown.

1 comment: